Global Warming Essay. Here you will find an Essay on Global Warming of 500+ words.
Global Warming is the increase in temperature of the earth’s surface. Greenhouse gases keep heat close to the Earth surface making it livable for humans and animals. It is a natural phenomenon. It is important for our survival but in recent years, the increase in the greenhouse gases has also increased the warming of the Earth’s surface thus resulting in this phenomenon.
The temperature of surface oceans and atmosphere is going up rapidly in the last tens to thousands of years. The average temperature of the Earth today is about 1 degree Celsius higher than when people first started burning coal. These changes are easily noticeable because of the increase in the melting of ice caps all around the world and also due to the rise of water in the sea level.
In other words, global warming the unusually rapid increase in Earth’s average surface temperature over the past years. It is mainly due to the greenhouse gases that collect in the atmosphere like a thickening blanket trapping the sun’s heat and causing the planet to warm up. Global warming thus modifies the weather cycles and ecosystems.
Causes of Global Warming
The causes of this phenomenon are:
1. Deforestation– Exploiting forests have led to the increase of greenhouse gases like carbon dioxide. Carbon dioxide helps plants to prepare their food by photosynthesis. Therefore, plants absorb carbon dioxide from the atmosphere but due to deforestation, carbon dioxide stays in the atmosphere and acts as a greenhouse gas. As more and more carbon dioxide stays in the atmosphere the greenhouse gases increase which results in the increase of global warming.
2. Burning of fossil fuels– The burning of fossil fuels along with oil and gas produces carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide in huge amounts which stays in the atmosphere and add to global warming.
3. Agricultural farming- Agricultural farming also adds to greenhouse gases. When a lot of livestock are reared they produce methane gas. This gas also acts as a greenhouse gas and when a lot of cattle are reared, they together add a lot of methane to the atmosphere. This results in global warming too.
Effects of Global Warming
As global warming is increasing, ecosystems are getting damaged. There is a lot of water shortages, increasing drought, increasing storm damage, etc. because of global warming.
A lot of species are also getting endangered due to this phenomenon. To survive, some living beings either adapt or move. Those that cannot do so go extinct. It is observed that one in six species is at risk of extinction because of global warming. Also, the speed in which global warming is increasing, it is harder to adapt so quickly with the changing environment and the destruction of habitat has also added to the difficulty in moving of the species. Altogether the living beings are in grave danger.
Reduced rainfall and severe droughts have led to water shortages. These water shortages also lead to famines.
Health deterioration and more chances of illness and death especially among the elderly has increased due to climate change. Higher temperature and humidity can produce mosquito-borne diseases.
Prevention of Global Warming
We can prevent global warming by using this following techniques:
Renewable energies– We should stop using fossil fuels and use renewable energy sources like wind energy, solar energy and geothermal energy. They produce almost no residue and therefore they do not affect the climate at all.
Energy and water efficiency– We should use more efficient devices and reduce the power consumption when it is not necessary.
Public transportation– We should promote public transportation and not use private vehicles whenever we can. This can reduce carbon dioxide emissions. Just imagine if everyone takes a private vehicle to travel a lot of carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide and other harmful gases will be produced.
Global Warming Essay: Conclusion. Global warming is a very dangerous phenomenon. We should take immediate steps to restore the normal temperature. This change starts with us. We as an individual should be responsible for our consumption and recycling methods. We should also learn how to deal with waste. Recycling plastic waste also helps a lot in fighting this dangerous phenomenon.
Read More Essays :
- Essay on my Vision for India in 2047
- Essay on Mahatma Gandhi
- Essay on Coronavirus
- Essay on Mountains
- Essay on Nelson Mandela
- Essay on my favorite book
- Essay on online education
- Essay on Raksha Bandhan
- Essay on Independence day
- Essay on Elephant
- Essay on Rainy Season
- Essay on Horse
- Essay on Beti Bachao
- Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav Essay
- Essay on Demonetization
- Essay on Renewable Energy way to future
- Essay on Make in India Project
- Social Media
- Science And Technology
- Gender Equality
- Republic Day
- Unity in Diversity
- Air Pollution
- Global Warming
- Save Water
- Swachh Bharat Abhiyan
- Importance of Education
- Summer Season For Students
- My Best Friend
- Conservation of Forest
- Women Empowerment
- World Environment Day