A detailed overview of National OBC Scholarships 2020 is provided here informing you about the application period, eligibility criteria, the application process, awards, and more. These scholarships are fundamentally granted to the candidates belonging to the OBC category (Other Backward Class). The aim is to give better instructive chances and budgetary help for economically backward but deserving students.
If you’re all set to prepare for these scholarships, then your search ends here cause, StudyEquation provides Notes and Lesson Plan. Our Study Rankers specially made them for better understanding. Students may read the PDF to practice concepts with NCERT Solutions and Extra Questions and Answers. We prepared these by keeping in mind the latest CBSE curriculum. Shine among your friends after scoring high in Quiz, MCQ, and Worksheet.
What is an OBC Scholarship?
OBC Scholarships are awarded to students belonging to OBC category with financial issues to aid them pursue a quality education. The government has spent OBC scholarships worth INR 850 crores for the welfare of the economically weaker sections of the country.
The OBC students are awarded these scholarships on the basis of merit and means. Hence, this scholarship is also known as a merit-cum-means scholarship. There are only a limited number of seats under each scholarship. Moreover, these scholarships require specific criteria to be eligible for the scholarship amount.
List of National OBC Scholarships 2020
|Name of the Scholarship||Awarding Authority||Scholarship Slots; Tentative Application Period|
|Central Sector Scheme for National Overseas||Government||25; July to October|
|Merit Scholarship for OBC Students (Delhi)||Delhi Government||NA; March to April|
|National fellowship for OBC||Government||300; July to August|
|ONGC Scholarship||Government||1000; September to October|
|Post-matric Scholarship||State Governments||NA; September to December|
|Pre-matric Scholarship||State Governments||NA; September to December|
Central Sector Scheme for National Overseas
- This scheme is for OBC students who want to pursue a Masters/PhD in a foreign university.
- The fields of study eligible under this scheme are Engineering, Management, Agricultural Science and Medicine.
- The PhD candidates are offered a fellowship for 4 years.
- The master’s candidates are offered a fellowship for 3 years.
- 30% of the scholarships are allotted to female applicants.
- 25 scholarships are provided per subject per year.
- The meritorious students also enjoy many other allowances such as incidence journey allowance, visa fees, poll tax, medical insurance, airfare, local travel allowance and other benefits.
- Candidates must be pursuing their Ph.D. or Masters.
- Candidates must have scored a minimum of 60% marks in their last exam.
- The applicants should be maximum of 35 years of age.
- Applicant’s annual family income must be less than INR 3 lakh.
No. of Scholarships Available
- Agriculture Science Available Scholarships – 6
- Engineering Course Available Scholarships – 7
- Management Course Available Scholarships – 6
- Medicine Course Available Scholarships – 6
- Annual Maintenance allowance for the United States – $ 15,400 + $ 1500 additional for books
- Annual Maintenance allowance for the United Kingdom – £ 9,900 + £ 1100 additional for books
- Research allowance (annual) in the United States – £1,560
- Annual Research allowance in the United Kingdom – $2,400
How to Apply?
- Get the application from the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Government of India.
- Fill the form and attach the required documents and send it back to the Ministry.
- Employed candidates need to send the application through their employer and also submit the latest tax assessment and monthly salary slip form.
- The students who have already got admission to the foreign institution will be preferred.
- The candidates will be selected by the selection committee formed by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Government of India.
Merit Scholarship for OBC Students (Delhi)
- The Department of the Welfare of SC/ST/OBC/Minorities, Delhi offers merit-based scholarships for OBC students of class 6th to 12th and in colleges or technical institutes.
- The maximum allowance for technical students is up to INR 1,620 per month and up to INR 4,500 per annum for other OBC students.
- The scholarship is divided into 3 categories:
- post-matric and
- Students from class 6th to 12th are eligible.
- Candidates pursuing professional courses must have scored a minimum of 60% marks in their Class 12.
- The family income (from all sources) should not exceed INR 2,00,000.
|Group Name||Day Scholar Allowance (per month) – Hostellers Allowance (per month)|
Degree courses – Medical, Engineering, B.Sc. Agri, Forensic science
|INR 1620 – INR 900|
(I) Postgraduate course in a technical/professional course
|INR 1860 – INR 960|
(II) Diploma Level courses- Engineering, Architecture, Applied Nutrition, Printing technology
|INR 1110 – INR 720|
(I) Certificate course – Engineering and architecture
|INR 930 – INR 630|
(II) Medicine diploma courses – Agriculture/Veterinary Science, Dairy, Fishery, public health
|INR 930 – INR 630|
(III) Degree or postgraduate diploma or postgraduate courses – Music, Fine Arts, Law
|INR 930 – INR 630|
(I) General course at Undergraduate level
|INR 804 – INR 420|
(II) Postgraduate course in Arts and Commerce
|INR 930 – INR 630|
How to Apply?
- Visit e-District Delhi and fill in the required details.
- The entire process is done online.
- Relevant documents, such as income certificate, caste certificate, copy of bank passbook, fee receipt, passport sized photo, and Aadhar card are required to be uploaded.
The OBC students in technical or professional institutes are not eligible for the merit-cum-means scholarship.
National Fellowship For OBC
- It was initiated by the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment, Government of India to financially aid OBC students and enable them to pursue higher education.
- The government provides 300 scholarships for Junior Research Fellow (JRF) and Senior Research Fellow (SRF) and the scheme covers all universities recognized by the University Grants Commission (UGC).
- The duration of the scholarship for JRF is two years, however, candidates can continue availing the scholarship as SRF for 3 additional years, provided that the research is progressive.
- The scheme is also applicable to PwD students who belong to the OBC category (they get a 3% reservation out of 300 slots).
- The selected students also receive allowances such as HRA, medical, and leave apart from the scholarship stipend.
- Candidates must belong to the OBC category with supporting documents.
- Net family income (from all sources) should not exceed INR 6,00,000.
- Applicant must have completed post-graduation.
- Transgender candidates are eligible to apply. Reservation shall be provided as per the norms laid out by the Government of India.
- Candidates who are already registered for Ph.D./ MPhil are eligible for the award of the fellowship.
|Fellowship in Sciences, Humanities, and Social Sciences||JRF||INR 25,000/-p.m. for the initial two years|
|SRF||INR 28,000/-p.m. for the remaining duration|
|Contingency A||Humanities & Social Sciences||INR 10,000/-p.a. for the initial two years|
|INR .20,500/-p.a. for the remaining duration|
|Contingency B||Sciences, Engineering Technology||INR 12,000/-p.a. for the initial two years|
|INR 25,000/-p.a. for the remaining duration|
|Escorts/Reader assistance||All Subjects||INR 2,000/- p.m. in cases of physicallyHandicapped and blind candidates|
|HRA||All Subjects||As per the rules of the respective institution|
How to Apply?
- Visit the official UGC website and check the relevant links to apply for the scholarship
- The application is presented in two parts:
- Contact details and personal information.
- Educational details such as institute details, postgraduate qualifications, research topics.
- Selection is made based on the merit of the candidate.
- UGC has its own guidelines to award scholarships to deserving candidates.
- Oil and Gas Corporate Limited (ONGC) offers 1000 scholarships to OBC and economically backward general students who are in their first year of graduation or post-graduation course.
- The students are awarded an allowance of INR 4,000 per month.
- Candidates must be pursuing their 1st year in professional courses such as engineering or medicine.
- An applicant pursuing an MBA or Master’s in Geophysics or Geology is also eligible.
- Candidates must have secured at least 60% marks in their class 12.
- The courses the candidates opt for must be recognized by the AICTE.
- The maximum age of an applicant must be 30 years of age.
|Eligible Course List||Duration (in years)||Award (per month)|
|Graduate in Engineering||4||INR 4,000|
|Master in Geology/Geophysics||2||INR 4,000|
How to Apply?
- The entire application process is online.
- Visit the official website of ONGC to access the application form.
- Fill in the required fields and upload documents as mentioned in the guidelines.
- Other documents such as the ECS are to be filled by the respective bank and uploaded on to the site to complete the application process.
- Candidates are selected on the basis of merit in the qualifying exam for the prescribed course of study.
- Special preference is given to candidates who are below the poverty line.
Post – Matric Scholarship
- The scholarship aims at providing financial assistance to students studying in the post-matric or post-secondary stage to enable them to complete their education.
- This is a centrally sponsored scheme implemented through State Government and Union territories.
- The scholars are paid non-refundable fees (for tuition, games, union, library, etc), charges for study tours and thesis typing.
- The government has spent about INR 720 crores through this scholarship and lakhs of students have been awarded it.
- Students must belong from the OBC category.
- Other eligibility criteria vary according to the respective state.
|Details||Day Scholars (per month)||Hostellers (per month)|
Degree & postgraduate course such as Ph.D. (medicine) M.Phil, Commercial pilot license, Postgraduate Diploma in Medicine & Management, CWA/CA/CS, Postdoctoral programs, Ph.D., M.Phil, LLM
|INR 750||INR 350|
Graduate & postgraduate in Nursing and Pharmacy, Postgraduate courses in MA, M.Com & M.Sc.
|INR 510||INR 335|
All other courses: B.Sc., B.A., B.com
|INR 400||INR 210|
|Group D: |
All post matriculation level non-degree courses – ITI, Three-year Diploma (Polytechnic)
|INR 260||INR 160|
How To Apply?
- Applicants can apply in either offline or online mode.
- Relevant documents are to be uploaded, such as caste certificate, income certificate, and marks sheet.
Pre – Matric Scholarships
- This scheme’s objective is to motivate OBC students studying at the pre-matric stage in government schools or private schools recognized by appropriate authorities to pursue a quality education.
- The students receive a monthly stipend up to INR 500 per annum.
- The scholarship is tenable only in institutions that have been recognized by State Governments or Union Territory administration.
- There is a 50% contribution of the Central Government in this scheme.
- The governments have spent INR 79 Lacs through this fellowship.
- The annual family income of the candidate must not exceed INR 2,50,000 per annum.
|Admission fee: class VI to X||INR 500 per annum||INR 500 per annum|
|Tuition fee: class VI to X||INR 350 per month||INR 350 per month|
|Class I to V||–||INR 100 per month|
|Class VI to X||INR 600 per month||INR 100 per month|
How To Apply?
- The application process is handled by the respective school authorities on the student’s behalf.
Conclusion: OBC Scholarships 2020
Many students in India belong to economically weaker backgrounds. These deserving but unfortunate students can benefit from OBC scholarships. These scholarships allow them to have a bright future.